Asherah Anu replied

566 weeks ago

Hi Everyone,

Having read a few of the game pad posts it seems people are having trouble with the amount of abilities and the hot-bar space for game pad.

So I thought I would write a post to tell you how I do it and how I made things easier for myself.

I will edit later with some screenshots.

OK so take any Melee job (for mage just use magic where I put WS)

1. First add non active horizontal hot-bar, preferably number 3 from the character settings in the system menu (horizontal bar 1&2 are too low and overlap with the hotbar descriptions).

2. next delete everything on all the hot bars remove every ability and start with only 1 game pad hot bar.

3. Fill the game pad hot bar with all your WS and damage moves. this is personal preference but I put all my regularly used WS combos on my right trigger ABXY (X,O,sq,tri) and on that same trigger in the directional pad I assign counter abilities like shield swipe etc (exception when playing PLD I put provoke on A and flash on down). On the left trigger I put commonly used other WS like shield lob, shield bash, shoulder tackle etc. find out what works for you !!

4. I do not put any other abilities on this hot bar it is solely for WS and counters (exception provoke)

5. Next create a second game-pad hot bar and stick all your cool-down abilities and non combat abilities.

I tend to put all my very active abilities on my right trigger therefore I can quickly switch in battle and my brain does not get confused switching triggers. My longer abilities and toggles tend to go on my left trigger. but again find what works for you !!!

6. OK lastly, remember that horizontal hot bar that just sits there and you cant control with the game pad, you know the one you should have enabled in the system settings at the beginning, well, put all of your cool down combat abilities that you put on your second game pad hot bar on there, that way you can actively see whats ready and when, don't worry its not a problem to assign abilities to 2 different hot bars.

Ok now you should have a set up that has these features

- all action WS GCD etc on 1 game pad hot bar (your main one)
- All cool down abilities/non-combat on a second game pad hot bar (your support bar)
- and all cool down abilities visible at all times on horizontal hot bar 3 (your cool down bar).

learn to play like this and I promise you it will make your game play experience on a game pad slicker and more refined.

I hope this helps some of you for the next beta !

Blazze Valkurm Admin replied

566 weeks ago

cool… now links!~
If you can't rule the world… burn it down!

Blkxtasy Kua Recruit replied

566 weeks ago

One thing you didn't mention is that the RB button (Xbox 360 controller) switches the hotbars. You could essentially hit RB on the fly for other WS/magic. I tend to group combos and buffs together. combos always mapped to buttons and buffs to the D-pad. I put minion specific items on hotbar 2 along with flee. I just hit RB and quickly perform my action. Also, I'm sure you all should know, but hotbar 8 has all your actions like teleport, return, etc. mapped. I hit RB twice and I'm ready to teleport.

Blazze Valkurm Admin replied

566 weeks ago

I have mine set to just jump from my WS/hate set and over to my "Oh shit" set
If you can't rule the world… burn it down!
Please log in to post a reply.